So we left off with a plane body cut to final shape, surfaced on two sides, and with a "landing spot" for a tool holder. The next logical progression would of course be to make the tool holder. This tool holder is designed to hold a 3/8" allen wrench. If this arrangement doesn't work out, or I decided it doesn't hold and edge long enough, I can always make a new tool holder. Maybe one to hold the Veritas replacement irons. So to hold a hexagonal blade, you need a hexagonal hole. By using the smallest end mill available we were able to keep corner clean out to a minimum and just take a few swipes with a triangle file.
Now it's time to turn that 3/8 allen into a blade. Chuck it up in a metal lathe and turn the short end flat. It will take some work on the grinder and work sharp to get it to a usable condition, but it's a small price to pay for a blade that cost me $4.86. Plus I get another set of allens that are only missing the 3/8".
Now we marry the two part together and we get something that resembles a tool. I took the assembly home, stuck some 600 grit wet/ dry to the table saw and lapped the sole about 2 minutes. Nice and smooth.
That's all for this post folks. Tune in next time and we will make adjusters, mill the body for handles, and more.
As always, feel free to comment below or look me up on Twitter or Facebook.